Information about Government Contracting in Alaska
The Little Davis Bacon Act governs the prevailing wage published by the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development. It aims to maintain a fair playing field for costs of labor related to construction projects that are funded by the government.
Important provisions of the Little Davis Bacon Act that Important provisions of the Little Davis Bacon Act that prevailing wage contractors should know
- Prevailing wage contractors are required to submit a certified payroll report every Friday of the second week of the month. This document lists down the employees who are hired on a public construction project, the number of hours they have rendered, and the amount of pay given to them. A statement that affirms compliance of the prevailing wage contractor to the provisions given by the Davis Bacon Act should also be included.
- Prevailing wage contractors are required to pay employees every week. No one is exempted to the rule.
- Employees should be paid using prevailing wage rates that are equal to the rates set by the Department of Labor and Workforce. These should be posted in a visible and accessible location in the workplace.
- Employees are entitled to compensation for work rendered beyond 8 hours a day and 40 hours per week. The prevailing wage rate for overtime pay is 1.5 times the worker’s basic prevailing wage rate per hour.
- Workers who have job responsibilities that fall under different job classifications should receive prevailing wage rates for each job classification in which work was performed.
Ignorance of the Prevailing Wage Law Excuses No One
You can reach out to the Wage and Hour Regional Office to know if the prevailing wage requirements are applicable to your project. If a prevailing wage contractor fails to comply, the prime contractor or DOLWD will take action. You are at risk of being debarred from doing public projects for 3 years.
Ensure your Compliance with the Davis Bacon Act with Help from ARCHER JODAN
Prevailing wage contractors are mandated by the law to give the accurate prevailing wage to their employees, starting from the basic rate per hour down to the fringe benefits. If you have not yet thoroughly understood the provisions of the Davis Bacon Act, it is time to seek the help of ARCHER JORDAN.
We are one of the fastest growing prevailing wage administrators in the country today. We are knowledgeable about the prevailing wage laws of all US States and we can help you understand the essentials of government contracting in Alaska. Call our toll-free number today us at +1 888-745-0754.