What You Need to Know about the Contract Disputes Act

A Guide to CDA for Prevailing Wage Contractors

The Contract Disputes Act (CDA) of 1978 is one of the important laws that government contractors and prevailing wage contractors should be familiar with. The CDA ensures and establishes uniform procedures regarding the negotiation and litigation of disputes over government contracts. Knowing more about these procedures will allow you to protect your interests and to raise petitions.

Read on to understand more about the Contract Disputes Act and how it can apply to your situation.

What is the Contract Disputes Act?

The Contract Disputes Act outlines a transparent and definitive litigation process. This ensures that throughout the proceedings, there is fairness and predictability. Both you as the contractor and the government agency or Contracting Officer are encouraged to negotiate claims and disputes in good faith.

What is a Claim and How Do You Pursue it?

As a contractor, you may have a claim on a particular federal construction project. Through the course of this claim, the government Contracting Officer must make a Final Decision. This Final Decision is ideally a formal written response based on the merits of your claim as a contractor for the project.

Under the CDA, the Contracting Officer has 60 days as additional time to issue a Final Decision. Contractors can petition to shorten that extension.

In cases where the Contracting Officer does not respond within 60 days, the claim is said to be a “deemed denial”. At this point, you cannot make an appeal in order to secure that project. A formal Final Decision must be written by the Contracting Officer before government contractors can exercise the right to appeal. This prerequisite can make the process tricky for government contractors wishing to negotiate and resolve claims.

The CDA establishes the procedural path of a claim. Government contractors can petition to direct the Contracting Officer to issue a decision in a specified period of time. During the appeal process, the government is required to take a position on the merits of the claim.

Where to Make an Appeal

Government contractors who wish to challenge the Final Decision made by the Contracting Officer should appeal to either one of two bodies. The contractor may appeal to the Board of Contract Appeals, or to the United States Court of Federal Claims.

The claim can be pursued and contested further. Following the decision by either initial forum, you can still raise and appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. After appealing to this intermediate appellate authority, the final appellate authority for this case and all other cases is the Supreme Court.

Learn more about Government Contracting with ARCHER JORDAN

With decades of experience in the industry, ARCHER JORDAN professionals are experts on matters related to government contracting.

ARCHER JORDAN is a third party administrator providing fringe benefits to government contractors and hourly hires. Aside from ensuring your compliance with labor laws, we also offer third party administrator and trust services. Contact us today!

3 handbook cover images.

For Government Contractors

Our Contract Compliance
Handbook Series will help ensure your company is fully compliant and positioned to win and secure more bids!


AD & D
Affordable Care Act
AK Prevailing Wage
AL Prevailing Wage
AR Prevailing Wage
AZ Prevailing Wage
CA Prevailing Wag
CA Prevailing Wage
CA Prevailing Wage 401k
Call Centers
CO Prevailing Wage
Compliance Tips
Critical Illness
CT Prevailing Wage
Davis Bacon Act
DE Prevailing Wage
Department of Labor
Disability Insurance
Employee Benefits
Employee Training
Employer Tips
Farm Labor Plan
Fixed Indemnity
FL Prevailing Wage
Fringe Benefits
GA Prevailing Wage
Government Contracting
Government Contractors
Health and Welfare Wrap
Healthcare Benefits
HI Prevailing Wage
Hospitality Benefits
Hourly Seasonal Workers
Hourly Workforce
Human Resources
ID Prevailing Wage
IL Prevailing Wage
IN Prevailing Wage
IO Prevailing Wage
KS Prevailing Wage
KY Prevailing Wage
LA Prevailing Wage
Limited Medical
MA Prevailing Wage
Major Medical Insurance
McNamara-O’Hara Act
MD Prevailing Wage
ME Prevailing Wage
MI Prevailing Wage
MN Prevailing Wage
MO Prevailing Wage
MS Prevailing Wage
MT Prevailing Wage
NC Prevailing Wage
ND Prevailing Wage
NE Prevailing Wage
NH Prevailing Wage
NJ Prevailing Wage
NM Prevailing Wage
NSRMCA Members
NV Prevailing Wage
NY prevailing wage
OH Prevailing Wage
OK Prevailing Wage
OR Prevailing Wage
PA Prevailing Wage
Part Time Employees
Podcast Guest Appearances
Prevailing Wage
Prevailing Wage Workers
Restaurant Group Benefits
Retirement Plans
RI Prevailing Wage
SC Prevailing Wage
SCA Audits
SCA Compliance
SD Prevailing Wage
Seasonal Workers
Service Contract Act
Small Business
State Prevailing Wage
SUB Plan
Supplemental Benefits
Supplemental Unemployment
Third Party Administrator
TN Prevailing Wage
Trust Services
TX prevailing wage
UT Prevailing Wage
VA Prevailing Wage
Violations – SCA
Voluntary Benefits
WA Prevailing Wage
WI Prevailing Wage
Workplace Health
Workplace Safety
WV Prevailing Wage
WY Prevailing Wage