Davis Bacon Related Acts

Resources for Colorado prevailing wage contractors



Whether you are just starting out as a prevailing wage contractor or just looking to keep yourself updated, we have compiled these resources about state prevailing wage. Here are the most common questions of prevailing wage contractors and workers to help expand your knowledge!

Prevailing wage contractors for public projects in Colorado are covered by the Davis-Bacon Act since the state doesn’t have prevailing wage law of its own. Compliance to the regulations is being checked by inspectors hired by the contracting agency. Read on to find out important information on prevailing wages. For help with fully compliant fringe benefit plans in Colorado please get in-touch via email or give us a call today!

Just a quick question? Schedule Consult

Where can I find information about prevailing wage in Colorado?
You can check out the current prevailing wage for Colorado at the website of the US Government Printing Office. However, the information that you find in this website may be different from the wage determination you should be using for a project. Check the bid documents issued by the awarding body or contracting agency. It contains the Davis-Bacon Act wage decision for the project. You can also visit the Colorado office of the Department of Labor for more information.
Is there a mandate for apprenticeship in the state of Colorado?
Apprentices for public projects in Colorado are not covered by any regulation or general training fund. Their prevailing wages are determined by the apprenticeship committee. Contractors must follow the regulations set by the committee and contribute to the training fund.
Are there any documentary requirements for prevailing wage contractors in Colorado?
Colorado public projects under the Davis-Bacon act must submit Certified Payroll Reports each week. Contracting agencies have the option to request for additional documents.
Can the prevailing wage for a certain project increase?
The Department of Labor sets the prevailing wage rate for different types of jobs based on the rate per hour of workers situated within the area or has a similar labor market area. Prevailing wage for contractors doesn’t have pre-determined increases and are usually fixed for the entire period of the project. However, an awarding body can request for a special determination of the prevailing wage of a job in a project. A special determination request made in Colorado usually takes 90 days to be processed.
How do I request for a special prevailing wage determination?
You should initiate the process by submitting the SF1444 to the project’s contracting agency. The Standard Form 308 (SF-308) is then filled up by the contracting agency and submitted to the Wage and Hour Division of the Department of Labor in Washington DC. Jobs that are not listed or unclassified should undergo the conformance procedure in order to establish a prevailing wage rate. The decisions made for a particular project is valid for only 180 days. If it is not used during its validity, it is already void.
Are there other things I need to do upon submission of my request for special wage determination?
Those that are working on a public project in Colorado where a request for special wage determination has been submitted should check if the current prevailing wage is not lower than the wage and benefit rates given for a similar specialized trade. For example, the prevailing wage for a plumber should not be lower than that of a carpenter. If so, the payroll must be corrected accordingly.


In order to make sure that contractors always comply with the provisions of the Davis-Bacon Act, inspectors are hired by the contracting agency to check your payroll records. If there are any errors, the Department of Labor may be called in to investigate further.
Avoid this type of situation by seeking the help of our team in ARCHER JORDAN. We will make sure that your business with the federal government will be smooth sailing all the way in terms of prevailing wages. Contact us today.

Or Call Now 1-855-530-6797